...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Made this soup last night...

with C.J.'s help. The kids loved it (2 big bowls each), so I thought I'd pass it on!

Curried Lentil Soup

1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
1 cup dried lentils (I used the red variety)
2-3 carrots, thinly sliced in rounds
1 cup julienned greens (I used mustard greens this time)
1-2 Tbsp curry powder, or to taste
Salt & pepper to taste
1/2 can coconut milk

Saute onion & garlic until tender. Add broth, bring to a boil, and add lentils. Simmer until lentils begin to soften, then add carrots, salt, pepper & curry powder. Continue cooking until carrots & lentils are cooked through. Stir in greens - cook for about 5-8 minutes more, then stir in coconut milk & serve. If needed, during the cooking process, you can add a little water to reach your desired consistancy.

School went well. C.O. and I watched a documentary on "Insect Wars", and he drew & labeled a diagram of a longhorn beetle, based off a photo in one of our books on insects. Then, we worked on some phonics, and finished up with math. After that, he went over to his buddy's house to play LEGOs, and that's when C.J. and I made the soup. She and I also read a "Little Bear" book - lately C.J. is fixated on Little Bear... books, the TV show (which frankly is waaay better than many TV shows out there for kids her age). She's even named one of her teddy bears Little Bear. She and I finished up playing with the letters E-H on Starfall, then I searched Netflix for movies/documentaries for our upcoming astronomy studies. I found a couple that look okay - we'll see!

1 comment:

  1. I really should utilize Netflix for our studies. LOL, I should utilize the library for our studies! I don't know, it just seems like every time I try to put any effort into planning extras, they're not interested. They seem to like things that just spontaneously come up... or maybe that's me? Hmmm. Food for thought.

    Speaking for food - yum. I'll have to try that recipe. I may blend it though. For some reason, blended soups go over much better than chunky ones here. Are you vegetarians?

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)