...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Yesterday went much more smoothly...

I took suggestions from M and from a friend, and homeschooling went better, plus I really think a lot of it has been my recent grumpiness with this cold (it keeps coming and going...). We sat down before lunch to read a story - The Sun, The Moon, & the Silver Baboon - then did math. C.O. worked on a couple of pages from Saxon math, while C.J. matched numbers to groups of objects again, and practiced writing 1-5. After that, C.O. took a snack-and-scooter break for a while. Then, we worked on phonics (C.O.) and the alphabet (C.J.), and ended sitting on the couch, reading through a book on the structure of insects. C.O. and C.J. both got very excited about the bug book, so while C.J. flipped through the pages over and over, C.O. drew his own rendition of the insides of a walking stick bug - and did a fantastic job! We plan to wrap up our insect studies this week, then we'll start on the solar & stellar systems, as we got a home Planetarium at Christmas, plus last month's National Geographic came with a great poster of the planets. C.O. then went to spend the night at my mom's, so C.J. and I spent some time playing with letter identification & sounds at Starfall. She also helped me make dinner, wearing her little apron. She & I then watched "Fairy Tale - A True Story" together before bed.

Both kids have officially decided to take a break from gymnastics. C.O. is very interested in martial arts, and our city offers very reasonable priced beginning lessons in Aikido, so he'll be starting that later this month. C.J. wants to try ballet when she turns four, so she's on a break until March. My classes start back up next week, and while I am nervous about taking more units, I am looking forward to the classes themselves, plus C.O. loves it when we do "homework" together.

Today, we have a 4-H meeting, then we'll just do math and some insect stuff. I'll read another library book or 2 to them as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)