...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Friday, January 26, 2007

Wet weather again...

It's been a mainly uneventful week. We have worked on a review of constanent sounds, after reviewing the vowel sounds twice. I'm dropping the SuperBooks at C.O.'s request, and we'll be working through Phonics Pathways this spring instead. We've also been working diligently on math, our planetary studies and Maps, Graphs, Globes. C.J. has been working very intently on her caterpillar drawing - it gets more convoluted and intricate daily.

Today, we were very much looking forward to park day. It looked gloomy out, so I gave K a call as she lives near the park, and got a no-rain report, though she did say it was only 42 degrees out! So we started bundling up, and 10 minutes later the phone rang. It was K to say it was now raining, and at the same moment C.O. noticed it raining here as well, and started crying. Poor boy, so disappointed that we couldn't go! I then thought of the Imagination Center, so we headed there instead, which brought C.O.'s smile right back! We had a good time there too, though I wish that admission wasn't quite so much. I guess I can see the point though, as all the art stuff is free. We painted, played with moon sand, made tissue paper collages, they wore about a dozen costumes apiece, and much, much more. Unfortunately, they are cutting back their hours, the tide table is closed down ("until further notice"), and the business is for sale. If only I had the money! Could you imagine running a place like that for a living?

They are now watching a cartoon (Little Einsteins) and having a snack, then we'll sit down for some late afternoon bookwork, just math, phonics, and some U.S. studies today. Tomorrow is a house-cleaning day, and Sunday we just plan to relax and have a good day! I just got Catherine Levison's A Charlotte Mason Education, so I have my reading all cut out for me (besides all the reading I have for art history & anthropology).

Oh, BTW, I now have my car (SUV) back - yaaaayyyyy!!! It is no longer overheating just from driving around the block (mild exaggeration). Hopefully (knock on wood & cross your fingers) this is the last work it will need for quite some time. Just so you know, her name is Lulu (Lulu Chitty Belle Bang Bang) - the kids named her a few months back.

1 comment:

  1. We were super disappointed at the rain too. :( You should've called and told us you were going to KidSpot though. We could've met you. Five paying kids (which Grey is, grrr) constitutes a playgroup which makes adults free.

    Anyway, I was coming to tell you that a couple weeks ago they had $9 copies of the SOTW activity guide at Peace Hill Press. (I don't know if they have any left though.) It's worth double that, at least. Soooo much cool stuff.

    Still on for next Wednesday? I'll email you directions. :)

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)