...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Sunday, January 7, 2007

Just an update...

Friday we went to Park Day. Last time the kids had a blast, not quite so much this time, though they do want to go again. For both C.O. and C.J., it seems that getting face paintings was the highlight. It seemed like a lot of the kids were on edge, not just mine. Maybe it was the weather - very cold. We'll go next time, in a couple of weeks, and see how that goes.

Then we came home and did our schoolwork. C.J. is working on matching numbers to groups of objects, and is doing really good work. She is also practicing letter writing. C.O. on the otherhand... he gets the concepts (as he reluctantly demonstrates), but would really rather goof off, make silly faces, drop his pencil on the floor a zillion times, and so forth. When he does settle down for a moment, he seems to get the work done easily, so it's been frustrating. M keeps suggesting I give him breaks when he acts up, but I am unsure on this for two reasons: 1) I can see the breaks getting longer and longer, with me trying to get C.O. back on task, and 2) isn't letting him play with toys kind of a reward, and if so, am I rewarding him for goofing around?

Yesterday, bookwork was about the same. C.J. is actually getting to write beautifully - she is very careful with capitol letter formation. She matched numbers to groups of objects easily. She wrote her numbers, 1-5. No trouble there. C.O. again kept dropping his pencil under the table, apparently had to go to the bathroom every other minute, but in between, he made & read all the words in the next lesson of Easy Word Families, did a math assessment and a page of addition (16 problems, doubles up to 9), and did 2 pages in Maps Graphs, Globes, where he is learning the 4 major directions of maps/compasses. Then we started on Poco a Poco music, which the kids both loved! Then, C.O. got scooter time out front with his friend from several apartments down, while C.J. was content to help me wrap the last Christmas presents. Yes, you read that right - we are still doing Christmas. My mom lost her very closest friend in the world on Christmas Day a number of years ago to breast cancer. Since then, my mom has chosen to celebrate on the 12th day of Christmas as Christmas Day is an emotionally difficult day for her. This year she had a schedule conflict, so we're doing our gift exchange, etc., on the 13th day of Christmas.

So, today, we are off to my mom's! The kids picked out really great candles for my mom (mini apple and pear shaped ones), my sister (a pink & black purse-shaped one), and an Asian-looking set for my brother, in more "manly" scents. They are very excited to be giving these gifts! I wrapped them, C.O. wrote names on them, and C.J. put the bows on. As I am typing this, all is peaceful on the homefront, as M is sleeping in (while he still can since he'll likely be working soon), and the children are watching the Berenstein Bears on PBS. Won't last long though, so I had better finish this cup of coffee while it's still hot (for once)!

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry CO and CJ didn't have a good time at the park. They were the only ones that I *didn't* notice having issues there, lol.

    About breaks... how long do you try and sit at the table to do schoolwork? I've heard that 5yo boys can only pay attention for 15 minutes or so at a time! But you could just try moving to the couch or the porch or something when he starts to get fidgity. I sometimes give Cameron 5 minute LEGO breaks and that really refreshes him. A break doesn't have to completely disrupt everything, in my experience.

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)