...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Friday, July 27, 2007

It all just gets more confusing...

I'm supposed to go back to my "regular" job in about 3 weeks, but then got news yesterday that kind of throws a shadow of doubt across my mind....

I've been working at a grocery store this summer. Not my favorite thing, but it's tolerable. Yesterday, Southern California ratified a way better grocery contract, which means Northern California will follow shortly, and under this new contract, I would be bumped up to full journeyman pay, which is more than $5 an hour extra. This likely wouldn't happen until the end of the year, but that money would be really handy. And since I am going back to school nearly full-time in a few weeks, I could make it so I am only available to work three 8-hour shifts a week. I can also get family health insurance through the grocery business.

However, I like my other job too. The hours are pretty nice (8 am- 11 am, M-F), and I like the people, but my next pay raise will only take me to about $3-4 dollars below what I stand to make at the grocery store, and I can't get insurance as I work too few hours, with no ability to get more.

Should I go back to the job I like, and keep the grocery store as "supplemental" or find another supplemental income? Should I stay at the grocery store and wait for that raise? I would so love to have some extra money, so I can give the kids nice things, build some savings, etc. I totally don't know which way to go here!

Edited to add: I need to keep in mind that neither job is permanent, just while I finish college! Doesn't make the choice all that much easier, but I guess I'll figure it out....

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm, that's a tough one. I'm sure I told you that I worked in a grocery store for a few years in my younger days. (It always annoyed me because I was always "the next promotion to checker" but no one ever left to give me a spot.) Anyway, one thing I heard, over and over, is that the money is a dangerous lure. Soooooo many people had been wanting to leave for years - decades in some cases - but the pay was so good that they just couldn't justify it. Years of, but I'll never get this much somewhere else, until they just got too old to do anything else and checking was their career. But they were well paid!

    Aren't you glad I'm here to give you the worst possible scenario in every case, lol. Sorry about that! I'd just hate to see yu get stuck somewhere you didn't want to be. But you really can' beat the flexibility though! It really is a tough choice. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)