...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Sunday, July 29, 2007

Reading over my last post...

I feel a bit selfish. Honestly, at this point in my life, it's not all about me. I am lucky in that I get more time with my children than many moms do. I am lucky that I get to finish college, homeschool, etc. So, I have made my decision based on what is best for my family. We do need to have insurance, and money. I therefore chose the grocery store, realizing that it is not permanent, since I'll be done with school in a few years, and I don't have to keep it even that long if things work out otherwise. However, for now, it pays well enough, has benefits (soon, when I am officially off probation), and is flexible enough for my liking. I'll admit, it's not my dream job, but I will continue working towards that.

I have started collecting boxes from work for our big move. I have decided, since I have a month (well, 5 weeks since we're pro-rating rent in September to give us overlap time), I'll do it in stages. This week and next, I'm tossing stuff. Donating stuff. Just getting rid of stuff. Then, I'll pack the dining room, then my room, then the kids room, then the living room, and finally the bathrooms and kitchen. I'm doing the dining room (okay, dining area) first so we can shove the table against the wall, and stack boxes in there. A month sure doesn't seem like much at this point! Tomorrow is our home inspection, and my speech class final.

C.O. is getting really excited about starting up school again in a few weeks. Since there are more chapters of SOTW than there are weeks in his school year, I think we may start history a couple of weeks before everything else, though with moving, we may not. I'll just have to see. This year, I'll be home in the mornings, so we can get school done first thing, and I can volunteer for his arts classes once in a while. It's really nice to see such excitement from him regarding school, because I see so many kids (at work) that are very much not interested in returning to school in two weeks. It makes me feel that our homeschooling journey is, thus far, a successful one! We'll see how he feels after a few weeks of lessons though, lol.

4 comments:

  1. {HUGS} Best of luck. I know what a hard decision that was.

    Will CO still be able to do 4H?

    ReplyDelete
  2. And no, you didn't sound selfish at all. You sounded like a woman who wants to be around her kids and have a career she likes, lol. That's not selfish - that's sane!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You didn't sound selfish, G! Not a bit. It was just you trying to figure things out .... Totally normal. And unselfish-y.

    (hugs) regarding the decision.

    And that's awesome that they're excited about school.

    p.s. One itty bitty suggestion: Pack the kids' room last. Seriously. The kids need their stuff, and kids freak when they see their stuff packed. It upsets their sense of security. They do much better if you have them help you with that once everything else is done. Just a tip. Feel free to ignore it 'cause it was free advice. So it didn't cost anything. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello?? Are you out there?

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)