...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

School supplies...

On one of the few message boards I frequent, there's a post regarding school supplies - frankly, I am shocked at how much some of the parents have to provide for their public-school kids! Anyhow, it got me thinking about my school supply list for the upcoming year, which I add to whenever I think of something else. I thought I'd share it here in case there's anything obvious I'm completely missing, which I'll admit is pretty likely. This list does not include curriculum:

>Pencils (both kids like the thicker ones I found at the teacher supply store)
>Paper - plain, lined, construction, other
>Gluesticks/glue, & tape
>Binders (haven't decided how many, or sizes yet)
>Blank spiral-bound notebooks for nature journaling
>Crayons - lots of crayons
>Coloring pencils
>Watercolor paints, mixing trays & brushes
>Pastels
>A magnetic, dry-erase board for lesson planning so that I don't go through a million reams of paper ;)
>Coloring books for biology, maybe a couple for history
>Maybe some teddy bear counters for C.J.'s math lessons

I know odds and ends will come up for particular projects, but offhand, these are the basics. I would like to get a nice sized corkboard for artistic displays, but it's more on my wish list than a necessary item, and I think I may actually have one somewhere stored at MIL's house.

Do you make a supply list? Did I miss anything you think would be really helpful?

3 comments:

  1. story paper - we've been using that more than any other type and I just bought it on a whim. You know, the kind that's half blank and half lined? I found it at Staples. I'm sure the teacher supply store has tons of it.

    Do you have scissors, hole punches, and glue sticks? Clay and/or Play Doh? I think that's about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pencil sharpener. We seriously are always losing it and having stupid pencil trouble and then having to dig it up from a drawer. But it's so needed. Pencil sharpener, definitely.

    And do your kids use pencil grips? Miguel holds his pencil all wrong, so we had to invest a whopping $1 for a pencil grippy thing.

    Did you have stapler? I can't remember now even though I just read your blog 10 seconds ago. We usually need the stapler for some story or what-not that the kids made up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may still have their wands! Do you remember what they looked like?

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)